Watch as one of our instructors prepares a three-course gourmet meal, then partake in each course. Enjoy a glass of Virginia wine for a nominal fee. Join us every Wednesday for this great Massanutten tradition!
Wednesdays at 1 - 3:30 pm | Not offered on 12.25.19
At Massanutten Conference Center
$35 | $10 with Adventure Pass (gratuity included)
Or call for reservations | 540.289.4978
December Menu & Recipes
1st Course: Baked Brie with a Cranberry Compote
- 6 phyllo sheets thawed
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1 Wheel Brie
- ⅓ cup finely diced red onion
- 2 tbsp water
- 2 cups Dried Cranberries
- ¾ cup dry red wine
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large apple
- 2 tsp freshly grated ginger
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a lightly greased cast iron pan, place one sheet of phyllo pastry and brush with melted butter. Layer with remaining sheets of phyllo, brushing each with butter, and placing at different angles.
- Place wheel of brie in the center of the phyllo and cover evenly with the 1/4 cup of cranberry sauce/compote.
- Fold in the phyllo to create a parcel of Brie. Brush phyllo with butter.
- Place in preheated oven and bake for 25-30 minutes. Brie may seep out of the phyllo, not to worry; the cast iron pan will keep everything contained.
- Remove from oven and let cool slightly before eating. Garnish with fresh cranberries and sprigs of thyme, as desired.
- For compote, combine onion and water in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil. Stir cranberries, red wine, sugar, apple and ginger into onions. Add cinnamon stick.
- Bring to a low boil, stirring frequently. Adjusting heat as needed, briskly simmer mixture, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
2nd Course: Stuffed Airline Chicken Breast with a Balsamic Glaze
- 6oz/180g small chicken breasts (2 pieces) (boneless & skinless)
- ½ cup sun dried tomato
- ½ cup Gorgonzola Cheese
- Leaves handful of spinach
- 2 tsp olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F.
- Cut a pocket into each chicken breast, taking care not to cut all the way though.
- Place chicken on work surface. Stuff with sun dried tomato, top with cheese then finish with spinach leaves. Just stuff in as much as you can.
- Seal with toothpick
- Heat oil in an ovenproof skillet over high heat. Add chicken and cook for 1 1/2 minutes on each side, or until golden.
- Transfer to oven and cook for 15 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly and chicken is cooked through. Rest for 3 minutes before serving, drizzled with the juices in the skillet.
- 2 cups balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
Mix balsamic vinegar with brown sugar in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly until sugar has dissolved. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer until half reduce glaze, about 20 minutes. Glaze should coat the back of a spoon.
3rd Course: Bananas Foster
- 1 cup unsalted butter (cubed)
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon bourbon
- 2 sliced bananas
- 1 cup vanilla ice cream
In a small sauce pan, add brown sugar and butter. Melt on medium heat whisking to combine. Add bourbon and allow alcohol to cook off. Add bananas and pour over ice cream.
Consuming raw or undercooked meats, poultry, seafood, shellfish, or eggs may increase your risk for food borne illness, especially if you have certain medical conditions.